Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bruschetta

Aaaww, I'm really loving our mini garden. This year was my first attempt at gardening, so I started small with just a few tomato plants (two of which got eaten by gophers) and some herbs including basil! It's so nice to be able to walk outside and pluck a few leaves and not worry about having to go to the store and paying way too much and then worry about using it up before it goes bad. I've really learned a lot and have big plans for next year. And hopefully, the provisions that I plan on putting into place will be enough to protect my hard work from those darn gophers. I've been setting traps out for them for months now and have yet to catch anything! They keep detecting the traps somehow and kicking dirt into them while closing off their tunnels. We've got some smart gophers in our yard. One trap has even gone missing! I doubt the gophers are THAT smart though!

Anyway, back to the food. Bruschetta! Easy peasy and oh soooo yummylicious!

I even made my own baguette! Now, if I just learn to make my own olive oil, salt and pepper, this entire dish would be homemade =P

Ingredients:
- Baguette
- Garlic clove
- Tomatoes
- Basil
- Olive oil
- Salt
- Pepper

Method:
- Slice the baguette and toast it. Even better would be grilling it! Then rub it with a clove of garlic.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Chiffonade the basil.
- Mix everything all together and pile it onto the bread.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate gophers. I've spent many an afternoon going gopher hunting.

Have you tried poison? Or filling their burrows with water?

gaga said...

Hey Gary, I hate gophers too!

We have already tried poison and water. Nothing works. I've actually been doing a bit more gardening (flowers and such) and find their tunnels EVERYWHERE! So sad...

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks awesome - and I'm jealous that you have a garden! Living here in the city makes it a little challenging but I hope to start a mini garden in pots next spring :)

That Girl said...

You need coyote urine - that'll keep the gophers at bay and won't put toxins in your ground. Meanwhile - bruschetta is one of my favorite summer lunches!

gaga said...

Haha, coyote urine huh? Sounds intriguing, where can I get some from? Do you think cat urine would work? We've got plenty of that!