Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Aloo Gobi


I love love loooooove Indian food, but have never tried to make it myself because honestly, it's a bit intimidating. So many spices, almost all of which I am not familiar with at all. But I've always wanted to learn.

Well, I finally got around to facing my fears and made a pretty darn good Indian feast. Hopefully I'll be able to post the other dishes I made in a timely manner, but for now, let's start with aloo gobi.


Just toasting the spices with the onion smelled sooo good. I'm definitely going to be attempting more Indian dishes in the future!

Recipe:
inspired by Recipezaar and Food Network

(measurements are approximations - add to taste)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 potato cubed
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno diced finely
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- salt to taste

- Heat a bit of oil in a pot and saute the onions until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, jalapeno and all the spices. Toast them until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, potato, and a few tablespoons of water. Salt to taste. Cover and simmer until cooked. Add more water if necessary.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

I don't like cauliflower, but I love Indian food. I wonder if I'd like this.

gaga said...

Hmmm. It still has a decently strong cauliflower flavor, even with all the spices, so I'm not sure if you'd like it. It doesn't hurt to try it though =)