I'm not a big fan of the traditional green bean casserole. I am however, a big fan of bacon :)
Here is my preference for Thanksgiving green beans, sauteed in bacon fat, with some red bell pepper for added color and sliced almonds as a garnish.
- 1 pound of green beans
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 2 (or more) slices of bacon
- salt to taste
- almond slices
- Clean and trim the green beans. Blanche them in boiling water or steam them until tender and put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and to keep their bright green color.
- Cut up the bacon into tiny pieces and cook until crispy.
- Add the onion and saute until soft and carmelized.
- Add the red bell pepper and saute until heated through. I like to keep it a bit crispy.
- Add the green beans to heat through.
- Add salt to taste (this may not be necessary since the bacon is already pretty salty).
- Sprinkle some almond slices on top and serve.