Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Crispy Pan-Fried Noodles

Chow mein is great on it's own, but frying the noodles makes it even better!

Liang mian huang or crispy pan fried noodles are noodles that are fried into a crispy disk and topped with a stir fry of meat and vegetables and a nice, flavorful, thick sauce. Mix the noodles, meat, vegetables and sauce at the table. The perfect bite has a bit of noodles that have soaked up the sauce, a bit of noodles that are still crunchy, and a bit of meat and vegetables. It's a fun dish to prepare and to eat!

I'm also submitting this for Presto Pasta Night which is hosted by Once Upon a Feast this week. Check it out to see all the other yummy submissions.







Ingredients:

- Yellow noodles (you can find these in any Asian supermarket. You can go with thick or thin, I happened to go with thick)
- Any combination of meat (typical options are chicken, beef and shrimp)
- Cabbage
- Carrots
- Garlic
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Water
- Corn starch

Directions:
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions, drain them and set them aside.
- Slice the meat into bite size pieces. Marinate them in a mixture of corn starch and soy sauce while you prep the other veggies.
- Slice the carrots into thin slices (I like to do it at a bias)
- Chop the cabbage into roughly 1 inch squares
- Mince the garlic
- Mix a few teaspoons of corn starch with a few teaspoons of cold water and set aside.
- Heat about at least 1/2 inch of oil in a pan (you can deep fry the noodles too if you'd like) until placing placing a chopstick into the oil makes it bubble.
- Carefully dump the noodles into the oil and fry until crispy.
- Flip the noodles and fry the other side until crispy.
- Remove the noodles, drain the oil, and set them aside.
- Heat a bit of oil in another pan (or dump most of the oil out of your original pan) and add the meat, some soy sauce, and the garlic. Stir fry it until it's mostly cooked. If you're using shrimp, add the shrimp at the last minute so that it doesn't overcook.
- Add the veggies and oyster sauce. Cook through while keeping everything in the pan moving.
- When everything is done, add more water if you need to (you should have quite a bit of sauce for the noodles to soak up) and the corn starch/water slurry to thicken up the sauce.
- Spoon the meat, veggies and sauce over the noodles and serve while hot.

18 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is simple and delicious!

Joanne said...

I love meals that are full of different textures! This sounds delicious.

Noob Cook said...

love one dish noodles like this, it's great for clearing the fridge and yummy at the same time :)

TasteHongKong said...

Your really give a generous topping : ).

MaryMoh said...

Looks delicious. I can have this any time.

TabzChewy said...

I absolutely love these every time we go to a dimsum place *_*

My dad makes these too, but in the trend of being healthy, his noodles are part crispy party still very soft haha

ann low said...

This looks definitely delicious, so much topping..hahaa..

gaga said...

Haha, yes. I went a little overboard with the toppings. I miscalculated the amount of noodles I had. Oh well :) Still tasty!

Ruth Daniels said...

Really looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Ruth Daniels said...

Really looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

averagebetty said...

If I could, I would eat this noodle dish every day! Love your recipe and easy instructions :)

Carolyn Jung said...

I love noodles with that kind of thick, hearty sauce with slices of tender beef. Reminds me of my childhood, when my Dad would get order noodles like this often.

Pete said...

Mmmm, a little crispy noodles with sauce is nice!

Reeni said...

This looks totally delicious! I never cooked with these kind of noodles before. I have to try them.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Really I could eat the noodles just like in that last photo and be totally content!
~ingrid

tigerfish said...

Love all the vegetables you have on top of the noodles! Cant even see the noodles now.

picnicplanner@smokersandbbqgrills.com said...

I can smell it already! Noodles are one of my favorites.

Cynthia said...

I love crispy noodles! It's especially good with lots of veggies and meat on top!