Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kimchi Fried Rice

Fried rice to me is one of those things that you make to get rid of leftovers or when clearing out the fridge. It's so versatile that you can put more or less anything you'd like.

This was not one of those times. My friend had a craving for kimchi fried rice, so we made it! Kimchi is the main component, and I paired it with spam. I'm embarrassed to say, I love spam. But any other meat, or no meat at all would work too.

As usual, no real measurements, just do it to taste.

Ingredients:
- Kimchi (chopped into bite-size pieces)
- Rice (I used brown rice this time)
- Spam (cut into small cubes)
- Juice from the Kimchi
- Soy and/or fish sauce for flavoring if necessary
- Egg(s)

Method:
- Heat the wok until almost smoking.
- (Optional) Add oil to the wok and heat the oil. I skipped this step because my wok is already nicely seasoned and the spam has plenty of oil in it already.
- Fry the spam. I like to fry it until there is a bit of color.
- Push the spam to the side. Crack the egg in the middle of the wok and scramble until mostly cooked.
- Add the rice and heat it through.
- Add chopped up kimchi and some of the juice (to taste).
- Add more soy/fish sauce if necessary
- Add frozen veggies (peas, carrots, etc) if desired.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I have given you a blogging with a purpose award on my blog. I love reading all of your recipes, and look forward to making some of them soon!

Unknown said...

mmmmmm I freakin love kimchi!