Monday, December 8, 2008

Sangria


Nope, I'm not done with Thanksgiving posts yet. We had a LOT of food and there are many more posts to come =)

I always associate sangria with happy and fun times, so it makes sense to serve it during Thanksgiving (or any other party and even just for a quiet evening at home!).

My version is probably not too authentic, but it tastes yummy!

And I'm submitting this to Joelen's Floribbean Adventure since it has rum in it. Thanks Joelen for hosting yet another great event.

Ingredients:

  • 1 bottle of red wine
  • sugar to taste
  • 2 cups of orange juice
  • rum (optional)
  • splash of soda water or 7up/Sprite
  • fruit - I used lemon slices, apples chunks & grapes halved, but whatever you have on hand should be fine.
Method:
  • Pour the wine, and orange juice into a jug.
  • Add a bit of rum or grand marnier for a little extra alcohol content since we're "watering down" the wine. You can skip this step too.
  • Add a splash of soda water or 7up/Sprite for some fizz. This step is also optional.
  • Then microwave some sugar with a bit of water. Let it cool down and then pour that into the jug too. I like to do it this way because whenever I pour the sugar straight in, it never melts. Making a simple syrup to pour in is much easier. Do a little at a time until the sangria has reached your desired level of sweetness.
  • Toss in the fruit.
  • Cover the jug and put it in the refrigerator for at least a few hours.
  • Serve it to your happy guests and have a great time!

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! You could even submit this to my Florribbean blogging adventure since it includes run! Details are in my blog and the deadline is this weekend :)

Heather said...

I haven't had a good sangria in a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

That Girl said...

Yum for sangia! Makes me crave my winter punch.

gaga said...

Thanks Joelen, I will!