Thursday, April 9, 2009

Honey Walnut Shrimp

When you first think about this combination, it sounds kinda gross. Shrimp in a sweet mayonnaise sauce? If I saw that on a menu, I'd probably pass on it. Luckily, they've come up with a much more appealing name for it - Honey Walnut Shrimp. That sounds much tastier, doesn't it? And it really is tasty, no matter what you call it.

A few things I'd like to point out when making this dish. Use decent sized shrimp if possible. A big part of the beauty of this dish is biting into a juicy, succulent shrimp with crispy breading. If the shrimp is too small, you won't get that same satisfaction from the "popping" of the shrimp when biting into it. Plus, you run the risk of the breading being so thick and heavy that the shrimp just disappears.

Another thing that I recommend you do is to add the nuts in AFTER you've mixed the shrimp with the mayo sauce. I tossed them in first without thinking, and the nuts got all covered in goop and didn't make for a very pretty presentation. Sprinkle the nuts on afterwards as an edible garnish. It'll look much more appetizing.

Ingredients:
- Shrimp

- Cornstarch
- Oil
- Honey

- Mayo

- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Walnuts (sugar or honey glazed is best, but plain is fine too)

Directions:
- Peel and devein the shrimp.
- Coat the shrimp lightly in the cornstarch. You can definitely use your favorite breading technique instead, but I use cornstarch because I just like a little bit of crispness without it being too heavy.

- Heat some oil in a pan or wok. Throw in the shrimp and toss it around for a few minutes until it's cooked through and crispy.
If you're using a heavier batter, deep frying is probably a better way to go.
- Mix equal portions of mayo and condensed milk and a squeeze of honey until smooth and combined.
- Fold the shrimp into the sauce and sprinkle the walnuts on top as a garnish.

7 comments:

Christina Kim said...

Wow, this is such a unique and interesting recipe!! I bet it is tasty :)

Reeni said...

This looks delicious! I love Honey Walnut shrimp!

Christina Kim said...

Hey, by the way, your recipe for Guinness Beef Stew was my original inspiration for making it!! I didn't have a pressure cooker, so I definitely had to make some adjustments.

stephchows said...

Totally interesting combination! I love when stuff you think is going to be gross turns out good!

Anonymous said...

honey walnut shrimp? the original flavor combination alone has piqued my interest, and I definitely want to try it!

alice said...

I love this dish.. I order it at the restaurant and make it at home.

Jo said...

Such an interesting recipe and it does remind me of a mayo shrimp salad.